Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Introducing....Mom

My 2 and a half year old has very recently decided to stop calling me 'Mommy' and start calling me 'Mom'. When did that happen? But more importantly, why??

I love hearing her call me Mommy -- Mommy let's go for a walk, Mommy let's play, or the big cry, Mommmmeeeeeeeee! But no longer. Now it's just a very grown up and succinct - Mom.

'Mommy' is cute. It's endearing. It's what little kids call their mothers. 'Mom' is something that I call my own mother. But I'm a grown woman. I'm not 2.

Every time she does it, I gently suggest 'You can call me Mommy'. And she replies, 'Ok, Mom'. I hate when I'm outwitted by a toddler. Unfortunately, it happens quite often.

It's not just me. 'Daddy' has also become 'Dad' and my husband isn't impressed either. Aside from correcting her - it technically isn't even a wrong term - I guess I shouldn't make a big deal out of it. Maybe she'll revert back to 'Mommy' on her own? I'll likely just get used to it and be glad she isn't calling me 'Joanne'.

1 comment:

Char said...

Yes, you do need to post soon...and I for one would like to hear about your cruise!